This Valentine’s Day, Jackie and I wanted to have a little fun. Don’t ask us what started the conversation –neither of us remember–but we ended up discussing what our favorite literary couples would end up purchasing for each other for Valentine’s day if they were around today. Some of the ideas we came up with were pretty funny and we thought we’d make them into a post for you to enjoy!
Westley and Buttercup from The Princess Bride by William Goldman
- a Flower Pitcher for Buttercup- “As you wish.” As Wesley hands Buttercup a pitcher, she realizes that every time he says these words, he is really saying “I love you.” Wesley wants to re-live this moment every time Buttercup uses her pitcher.
- Pirate Bottle Opener for Westley- What do you buy for the Dread Pirate Roberts? A pirate bottle opener of course. Maybe they can pour the wine into the pitcher!
Robin Hood and Maid Marian from The Adventures of Robin Hood by Roger Lancelyn Green
- Essential oils starter kits for Maid Marian- Maid Marian is a woman who is used to being outside (and in a time when there is no modern medicine.) The oils will help keep things smelling great, disinfect naturally along with so many other things!
- Camping hammock for Robin- What do you get for a man who spends so much time in the woods? An awesome hammock!!! Maid Marion knows how to make sure that Robin is comfortable in his nights in the woods.
Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth Bennett from Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
- BOTM for Elizabeth Bennett- Oh how Lizzy loves to read. Mr. Darcy knows this and would be so excited to get this gift that keeps on giving for his love.
- Custom Suit and Shirt from Astor & Black for Mr. Darcy – A man of Mr. Darcy’s upbringing sure knows how to dress. Lizzy knows how to make sure Mr. Darcy feels appreciated.
Anne and Gilbert
- Once Upon a Book Club for Anne- Gilbert loves and always encourages Anne’s amazing imagination. This book subscription is perfect for the lover of books. You actually get a bunch of gifts meant to be opened at specific parts of the book. It creates a truly immersive experience for any reader.
- Diamond Sunburst cufflinks and tie clip for Gilbert- In the book Gilbert says “It’ll be three years before I finish medical school and even then there won’t be any diamond sunburst or marble halls” Who says Anne can give Gilbert a diamond sunburst? And it is romantic, like Anne.
Jamie and Claire from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
- Knitting supplies for Claire Stitch N’ Bitch- Anyone else remember when Jamie had to teach Claire to knit in book 4 of the series? He made fun of her the whole time. I could totally see him poking fun at her with this book for beginners.
- Scotch Making Kit for Jamie – Jamie, like any good Scotsman, loves his scotch. In the books, he goes so far as to distill some himself in America. In today’s modern world, I could see Claire giving this to Jamie for him to DIY himself.
Hermione and Ron from Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling
- Articulated Ron doll for Hermione – Can’t you just see Ron getting Hermione a paper doll of himself? I’m not saying it would go over well, I’m just saying it would be something he would do.
- Love and Respect Workbook: The Love She Most Desires; The Respect He Desperately Needs by Emmerson Eggerich for Ron – Jackie has a theory that JK was crazy when she put Hermione and Ron together. They would most definitely be divorced by now according to her. So if they are still together, she believes a practical book about marriage would be in order for Ron.
Christian and Ana from Fifty Shade of Grey by E. L. James
- Drone for Christian – Ana loved her ride on Charle Tango and Christian loves his toys. Ana would totally jump at the chance to get him a drone to fly around!
- Private island for Ana – What is more Christian than a private island? It’s such a giant gesture…I can’t believe he didn’t actually buy her one in the book!
Katniss and Peeta from The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
- Pearl Necklace for Katniss – Remember when Peeta found the pearl for Katniss during Catching Fire? We like to think he had it set for her in a lovely primrose setting. So sentimental, that one.
- Bread Pan for Peeta – Neither of us thinks that if Peeta was around today he would be a baker, but we do think he would do a lot of cooking for his bride! This bread pan is the perfect gift for our favorite baker.